Monday, October 12, 2009

Columbus Day Weekend 2009



The chill of autumn has arrived. This weekend Lenny and I went away to Triple Brook Campground in Hope, NJ. Two nights away are better than none. We were meeting up with my cousins from down the shore. I had checked the weather but did I plan accordingly...WHO ME??? No way. Good thing we keep winter coats in the motorhome. Lenny drove up early in the afternoon on Friday, I had to work till 4pm so I drove up later in our new to us red Saturn LW300. Fancy word for station wagon. After sitting in traffic for over an hour, I finally arrived at the campground around 6. It was a crisp, cool evening and the rain held off until after we sat around the fire. By morning the rain had stopped. Lenny and I decided to go to PA for a nice drive and some shopping at Wal-Mart. On the way home we drove south on 611 thru the Delaware Water Gap. The leaves are just starting to turn vibrant reds and yellows. Just past the trolly tours we turned left and found a wonderful place for lunch. If you're ever driving in the area be sure to check out the Village Farmer. They had all sorts of homemade breads, cookies, pies and cakes. They also had homemade pot-pies. Their selection that day consisted of chicken, turkey, a mexican pot pie, shepherds pot pie and mac n cheese pot pie. Lenny and I ordered the latter two and shared them. The also had fresh apple cider. The best part was our seating. They offered indoor and outdoor seating. We chose to eat outside because it was beautiful out and scenery could not be better. They had a gazebo and picnic tables along a stream with waterfalls. We continued on 611 south to Portland where we crossed the Delaware River back into NJ and back to the campground where we shared some Apple Cinnamon Crumb Cake with my cousins. So yummy.
That night my cousins came over to our sight where we had a roaring fire burning and roasted marshmallows. It amazes me how fast you can go thru a large bag of marshmallows. They were so good. Gazing at the stars we were able to see Venus. I told Lenny we need to invest in a good telescope. A book about constellations would help us too. The sky was so clear but so cold. Drinking coffee at 8pm just to warm up is not a good thing to do. At least not at my age. That night I had such trouble falling asleep. Such a good weekend. Two days until our next trip. Stay tuned as we travel along.

1 comment: