Saturday, September 24, 2011

GO WEST, YOUNG MAN, GO WEST!!!


It was another long day. I woke up at 5:30am and decided it was way too early to put my feet on the floor! So, I did the next best thing...I rolled over and an hour and a half later my other half is waking me up! Me, who is usually up by 6am was actually sleeping in and he had the nerve to wake me up! Well, we did have a 323 mile drive ahead of us. We left the laurel highlands of PA by 10am and started driving west. An hour later we were entering West Virginia, ten minutes after that we were in OH. We probably picked up speed going down a 6% grade on the highway. LOL. For some reason, I though Ohio was mostly flat. Today I found out differently. We drove up hills and down hills. I-70 was a nice drive then we took 470 around Columbus. Both of us decided, we really don't like that highway. Before long, we were on Rt 33 headed straight towards Celina, OH and the Gypsy Journal rally. We met Nick Russell years ago at a Life on Wheels four day conference in PA. He and his wife, Terry, are full-time RVers who publish a bi-monthly newspaper on their travels. He holds two rallies a year. One in the east in the fall and one in Arizona in the winter. This is the first time we are able to attend one of his rallies. We subscribe to his publication, have read many of his books and religiously read his blog and that of his alter-ego Bad Nick. We have been looking forward to this rally for months. As the afternoon dragged on, I contact a friend here at the rally to see how late we could arrive today and still be able to get a site. The rally itself doesn't start until Mon., but we wanted to arrive early so we could see old friends, make new friends and just chill out before it begins. I found out that as long as we were here by 5-5:30 we'd be good. It was getting close. The GPS kept telling us we would arrive at 4:59pm and for once she was right. It was a long day on the road, but we had finally arrived and I'm glad we're here. We said hello to Jim and Chris Guld of Geeks on Tour, found a site and got settled in. Tomorrow, I'm sure we'll see more friends and explore the area a bit.  I'll be sure to post some of the funny things that go on here this week. Thanks for traveling along with us on The Thomas' Trails...until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment