Wednesday, January 19, 2011

South of the Border

Today was an easy drive from Cary, North Carolina to South of the Border. While checking the radar this morning, I noticed some nasty rain moving east over I-95 so we weren’t anxious to leave too early. We must have timed it perfectly. It was cloudy and overcast the entire drive, but no rain. Being from Northeast New Jersey I am used to I-95 being a congested mess of a highway. I was pleasantly surprised when we picked it up in NC. There are two lanes in each direction and hardly any traffic compared to what it’s like near NYC. We arrived at the South of the Border campground around noontime. After checking in and getting to our site, we discovered the electric was not working, so we had to change sites. The cats were already out of their crates so this was going to be fun. Sammy, our older cat hates when the motor home moves, so he ran and hid. Munchkin, our little girl, just kept sleeping on our bed. Shiloh, our guard beagle, stayed right by my side. After we finished setting up at our second site, we finished our lunch and went to explore the largest tourist trap on I-95. We wanted to ride to the top of the Sombrero Tower but the elevator was not working and I was not about to walk to the top. We did some window shopping at the Mexico Shop, Pedro’s Leather Shop, and Fort Pedro before stopping for an ice cream. The sun had finally come out from behind the clouds and the temperature was almost 60 degrees. It felt so nice to sit outside in the sun enjoying each others company and an ice cream before dinner. After that we crossed to the other side of the highway to check out the Myrtle Beach Shop and Pedro’s Pantry. I was a little disappointed in Pedro’s Pantry. We needed some eggs and cream for coffee and they had neither. Basically, it was another gift shop that also sold snacks, drinks and alcohol. We went back to the coach to walk the dog and chill before heading to the Waffle House for dinner. At dinner, we asked about a grocery store. They directed us to go three miles down the road and turn left at the traffic light. Only one light? I used to drive two miles to work and had six lights. They assured me there was only one traffic light in town. Wow, now I know I’m in the country. We found the grocery store, but they were out of half and half and the eggs were expensive so we decided on a box of cereal and left. Sitting back at the coach, we’re watching a DVD and just relaxing. Boy, I can really get used to this life. Thanks for traveling along with us on The Thomas’ Trails. Till next time…

To Mrs. C’s class and Mrs. Whiting’s class at School #1...Mr. Lenny says hi and hope you enjoy the pictures and stories of his life on the road of retirement. Miss you guys, enjoy your snow and I’ll enjoy the sunny warm sandy beaches. PS - don’t tell your parents I eat ice cream before dinner. It’s not a good idea to do that.



No comments:

Post a Comment