Thursday, October 6, 2011

Elkhart, IN to Shephardsville, KY

IMG_4865
Wow, we have been busy driving and sightseeing. We left Elkhart on Monday and drove to Anderson, IN. We only stayed one night at this campground, but there was a store we wanted to visit in the area. Len enjoys Southern Gospel and Quartet music and wanted to check out the Gaither Family Store in Alexandria, IN. It was just like any other Christian Book Store, they just featured all their musicians. We asked the clerk for a good place to eat and she suggested The Lemon Drop. She told us it was a local place that could be featured in Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives because it was, well, a dive! But let me tell you, the food was fantastic! We both ordered the “onion burger”, their signature dish, we shared an order of onion rings and an order of fries and topped everything off with a chocolate milk shake. Man, I haven’t eaten like that in a while. If you know my doctor…please don’t tell him. LOL. It was a cute place with counter seating, some booths and a train circling overhead. We would definitely go back there to eat.
Most campgrounds are near railroad tracks and this one was no exception, however, it IMG_4848was also near an airport. Not a major airport, but boy were they flying low over our heads. The next day we continued on to Kentucky. A new state for us! As we neared the border of the Indiana and Kentucky traffic began to build. We had to cross the Ohio River and I felt like we were crossing the Hudson. The traffic was horrible, the only difference is we didn’t have to pay a toll. Driving down I-65 we saw the craziest thing we’ve seen yet. The pick-up truck in front of us was being held together by bungees! Now I know you wouldn’t believe it, so I took a picture. IMG_4871But wait…that wasn’t the craziest thing I saw in KY. I had to go to the store and on my way back to the campground I was on a four lane road. Coming towards me, in the middle of the road was a man on a tricycle (the pedal kind) being powered by, YUP…A LAWN MOWER!!! This one you have to take my word on because I was alone and driving and it all happened so fast. But alas, I will not say I’ve seen it all yet because there are still so many states to visit and back roads to drive, you never know what will be coming down the road. Enjoy the pictures and thanks for traveling along with us on The Thomas’ Trails…till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment